In the 1960s and '70s there
were about 400 of us, give or take a dozen or so, working
for the radio and television stations; for the division
called Jefferson Productions, a commercial and programming
production group; and Jefferson Data Services, a unit
that provided computerized accounting and scheduling services
for many broadcasting companies around the country; and
for the many departments providing support services
for the entire corporation, such as photographic, printing,
film processing, graphics, research, financial and administrative.
Prior to 1955 the two broadcast stations resided
on several floors in the Wilder Building in downtown Charlotte.
Then a new facility was established at 1 Julian Price Place
(a stone's throw from W. Morehead Street). The "new" quarters
are what most of us remember as home, although several of
the Wilder Building veterans still roam
the earth, waxing nostalgic about
What was memorable about our situation
was our closeness to each other. We shared
each other's excitement of accomplishment and the occasional
disappointments that inevitably came along. Everyone
pulled for everyone else; it was truly all for one and
one for all.
It was certainly a different, less complicated
time then, almost primitive by today's standards. We accomplished
so much, and felt the joys and rewards of so many things
we did. The purpose of this Web site is to celebrate
those accomplishments, and perpetuate the
bonds that held us together.